WE ARE STILL OPEN! — Learn more about our alternate meeting options, or call our office at (952) 224-9410.

Common Child Support Questions Answered

When people separate, whether married or in a relationship, and there are children involved, the first thing parents worry about is spending enough time with the children after the separation. The second biggest worry is generally child support.

This blog is intended to give you answers to the basic, commonly asked questions regarding child support.

Who pays child support?

Minnesota statutes require that each parent contribute to their children’s upbringing financially. Child support is not dependent on the title of custody, but on BOTH incomes of the parents as well as the percentage of time the parents spend with the children.

Who is a child for child support purposes?

Minnesota Statute 518A.26 defines child for the purposes of child support as, “an individual under 18 years of age, an individual under age 20 who is still attending secondary school, or an individual who, by reason of physical or mental condition, is incapable of self-support.” Generally speaking, if your child is under 18, is 18 but hasn’t graduated high school yet, or if your child is over 18 but is incapable of self-support, they are considered a child.

What is child support?

Child support is broken down into three categories: basic, medical and child care.

  • Basic. Basic child support is a dollar amount meant to be used for the child’s housing, food, clothing, transportation and education costs.
  • Medical. Medical support is the amount of contribution you make towards the monthly premium for insurance. Generally, medical support will also include a percentage that you are responsible for when unreimbursed expenses incur.
  • Child care. Child care support is the amount of contribution you make towards the costs of child care.

The combination of the above three types of support will make up your total monthly obligation.

Can child support be waived?

Under certain circumstances, if both parties agree, child support can be waived. If you have questions related to the establishment of child support, modifying an existing child support order, or terminating child support, please do not hesitate to contact our office at (952) 224-9410.