WE ARE STILL OPEN! — Learn more about our alternate meeting options, or call our office at (952) 224-9410.

Delegation of Powers: When and How to Use Them

There are times in life when you need some temporary help in supporting, caring and raising your children. These are life instances that do not warrant a change in custody or any kind of permanent change in legal rights, but yet you need some sort of assistance.

The State of Minnesota has developed a mechanism that allows parents or guardians to delegate their powers “…regarding care, custody, or property of the minor or ward, except the power to consent to marriage or adoption of a minor ward.” Minn. Stat. 524.5-211(a). This delegation of power is only good for up to one (1) year and can be limited to a shorter time, if desired. If there is another parent who has been awarded parenting time, you must give them notice that you have delegated your parenting power to another individual within 30 days of doing so.

This is a great tool/mechanism that allows parents to have some temporary assistance in what may be a short-lived difficult time, or a time they are traveling for work, incarcerated or some other circumstance. If you have questions or wish to discuss a temporary delegation of parental powers, please contact Howard Family Law, LLC and we will be happy to assist you.

If you have questions related to a possible dissolution of marriage, child custody questions, or parenting time concerns, please do not hesitate to contact our office (952) 224-9410